Old 26-02-2008, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Raised Bed Vegetable Planting

Richard Price wrote:
www.locoworks.com;776263 Wrote:
On Feb 26, 12:22�am, Richard Price Richard.Price.
wrote:-
Thanks for the advice.

I have now ordered some untreated wood and will construct another
planter. Does anyone know what I can treat the wood with, that will
not
harm my veg?

--
Richard Price-

Richard,
Your best bet is to use redwood. It naturally resists rot and
insects and will not harm your vegetables. It is pricy, though.

Thanks for that. I've tried to get hold of redwood, such as western
red cedar, but nobody seems to stock it in Wales.

In Wales any North American wood would be as "exotic" as English
walnut is in the US.

Best bet would likely be to look for some synthetic lumber made from
recycled plastics. In the US "Trex" is the best known brand. The
stuff should pretty well be inert from the viewpoint of planting.

There are numerous tropical hardwoods that will stand up for decades,
the trouble is that I don't know of anyone who has used them for the
purpose you intend and wouldn't guarantee that they don't leach
substances that would harm the plants--they have some pretty powerful
natural chemistry that keeps the bugs and fungi out.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)