Old 27-02-2008, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Raised Bed Vegetable Planting

"Richard Price" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice.

I have now ordered some untreated wood and will construct another
planter. Does anyone know what I can treat the wood with, that will not
harm my veg?

There are timbers that will last for many years in contact with the soil.
There is no point in me naming names as the ones I know would be unavailable
to you. Contact somebody in the building trade, timber merchant etc who knows
their stuff. Here they are graded (1 to 4 AFAIK) I don't know if you would
have the same grading but there must be something. The grade 4 stuff is used
for fence posts, jetty pylons etc. Good fenceposts around here last 40 years
without any chemical treatment.

David