Old 27-02-2008, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Prickly hedge for a shady site

In article ,
writes:
| On 25 Feb, 19:35, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
| Pyracantha would probably fit the bill. You could always mix it with Rosa
| rugosa and blackberry. That should provide a pretty impenetrable mass. How
| about adding a blackthorn for good measure? A good selection of flowers and
| fruits there.
|
| My rosa rugosa groes like buggery on it's damp, clayish, heavy soil -
| except in shade. As for Blackthorn, that's what is causing the
| shade. It likes going upwards.

Blackthorn is a variable species, and may also be a straggly shrub.

In the wrong, er, right, conditions, Pyracantha can produce shoots
6' long and 3/4" at the base in a season. I got rid of mine, because
I got so sick of pruning it.

My guess is that, in heavy soil, Rosa rugosa would be the best bet.
In very poor soil, almost certainly blackthorn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.