Old 27-02-2008, 01:18 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeh View Post
I'm a chilli grower and I thought I should also grow Blueberries
Do Blueberries crop in their first year? They advertise the plants in 1l pots as 1 year old so they would have a thick main branch?
He says he wants to grow them in containers, Charlie.
I bought one-year blueberries cheap from a DIY shop, and they fruited fine the first year I had them and they had a thick main branch.
If you live in a hard water area, they don't like tap water, and they need a lot of water, so you'll have to collect a lot of rainwater for them.
You supposedly get a better fruit set if you have two varieties, because cross-pollination is better, but I get a good fruit set from the two seemingly same variety bushes I have.
I grow (compact) chillies in quite small containers, only about 3 litres. I think suitable containers for growing blueberries would rather larger, be more like 25 or 50 litres.