Old 27-02-2008, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Potato pots

Amethyst Deceiver wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:35:16 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:19:30 GMT, "John T"
wrote:

thinking of growing earlies on patio, any views about pots or bags
I used a bag (sold for the purpose) to grow potatoes on my patio last
year. I had a huge amount of leafy growth, which took up a lot of
space and used a lot of soil, but produced a very disappointing crop.

Pam in Bristol

Did it allow for earthing up?

The bags I've bought do, certainly. Last year I used three potato tubs
and three compost bags. The harvest wasn't wonderful, but the weather
didn't help. This year I'll be using three potato tubs and three potato
bags - because the compost bags just looked like I'd left the rubbish in
the garden, rather than an intentional growing medium.

As I have posted before I have used the large tonne bags that builders
merchants use to deliver sand etc. in bulk. Quite easy to obtain, most
BMs have used one that they will be happy to give away. However as AD
pointed out the harvest is not great and they are rather an eye sore. On
th plus side you can get lovely early ones though.