Old 28-02-2008, 08:37 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet[_5_] Omelet[_5_] is offline

Default Water

In article ,
deepeddygirl wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article , "Dioclese" NONE
wrote:

Severe drought, I'll say it aloud my friends.

Comments, especially the hill country people?

I'm hoping for some more isolated low cells to bring rain like last year.

I give the TV weather people the finger everyday now for their pretty
weather assessment.

Do a rain dance. :-)

Rain should pick up a bit in April, hopefully...
That's when I generally plant Tomatoes.

I'm seriously considering container gardening them this year in, say, 25
gallon pots. I can keep them watered better by hand so it'd cost me
less, and weed control would be less of an issue too.

I should be able to do 2 vines each in a pot that size.

Have you had any luck growing them upside down?

Never tried it.
I saw that in another thread on a different list and was considering
looking in to that. If I can save on costs, it would be a good thing!

I've also considered investing in Hydroponics for the long term, when
I've got the current credit card debt paid off. g

My girlfriend is selling
these kits for a fundraiser and I've seen them in Gardener's but I'm not
convinced. I agree with your assessment on doing containers. I have a
fairly small raised bed system with one big and two small beds and I had
to sacrifice them last year when the rain finally stopped.

Raised beds have always saved me on water costs. g

Sucks when a "natural resource" breaks the bank.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain