Old 29-02-2008, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Home made cloches for raised beds.

"Trevor" wrote in message
. com...
Looking to make improvised cloches using fleece or mesh for carrots and
brassicas. I have found steel rods for 83p per m for 12mm and found 15mm
plastic pipe at builders merchant (may be a bit slack). Has anyone done it
this way, perhaps with alkathene? I was thinking of 36 inch rods 18
inches in the ground. Beds are 5 ft across.

Would be interested to here of any success - dimensions, costs etc

Trevor
East Yorkshire

I made one of these.
http://www.eartheasy.com/cloche.htm

I cut some corners & simply nailed together 4 pieces of old 2x4, drilled
holes both sides of the frame for old water plastic water pipe & warpped
some old plastic packing sheet across the top. Cost me about $8 I reckon. I
found these types of tool clips are very good for securing the plastic sheet
to the water pipe.
http://www.springmasters.com/sp/spring-clips-open.html
http://www.springmasters.com/sp/spring-clips-super.html
http://www.springmasters.com/sp/spri...ps-closed.html