Old 29-02-2008, 09:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J Tom J is offline

Default well question

Bob F wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
Yes. The idea is to get water with no power, at least cost.

Unless the water table is within 22 or so feet vertically of the
hand
pump, the hand pump won't work.

Depends on the pump - 1 of those little $15 short handle pumps, you
are correct - the larger long handle, long stroke with tight pipe and
good check valve, you are wrong. We use to hand pump from 60 feet
down to a tank on a platform 20 feet up before we got electric power.
We did finally hook a single cylinder gas engine to a jack stand to
operate the pump before getting electric to the farm. It would fill a
1000 gallon tank using 1/2 gallon of gasoline!! Yes, I'm talking about
a loooong time ago!!

Tom J