Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
cat daddy

Default Buzzards are Leaving

I did a quick glance at a website that said Whoopers are the only big
birds that fly with their necks straight and these had straight necks.
Another one said the first sighting in Aransas Pass occurred on the 25th,
with a census count of two Whoopers. If about 50 show up in the next couple
of days, I'll claim they are my Whoopers.......... }:-)

"animaux" wrote in message
Cranes or pelicans, but both are an amazing sight.

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:19:09 -0600, "cat daddy"

wrote:

I was at the dogpark at Riverside yesterday and saw flock of what
appeared to be Whooping Cranes in low flight headed south. It was late in
the afternoon and I would have thought they might be settling for the

night,
but they looked to be forming up after a rest and then flew off down I-35

in
V-formation. Pretty cool.

"Robbin" wrote in message
I noticed white-wing doves gathered in large groups yesterday. I think

they
are likewise ready to head south.

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
Black vultures and Turkey Vultures are "kettling" along the Loop 360
corridor and are heading south. There are a few hawks mixed in as
well as a pair of Osprey. There are still a dozen or so perched in
trees near my home waiting for the thermals along the north face of
the Barton Creek valley to strenghen.

At least they appear to be taking the approaching cold front
seriously.

Rusty Mase