Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Seed potatoes, Sydney, NSw, Australia, where?

Chookie writes:
Why bother growing spuds? They take up a lot of space for a long period in
the vegie patch but are pretty cheap to buy. Very good if you are trying to
improve your soil, but I don't think I'd bother otherwise.

For the taste. Fresh homegrown spuds have an entirely different taste
compared with the field spuds sold in supermarkets. Besides, their price
of spuds (was $3.99/kg, now $2.99/kg) makes them worth growing. That's
the same price as apples. Better to grow potatoes, which don't require
spraying and are immune to attack from flying foxes and parrots and
are somewhat safe from hail, and let the farmer manage all the trouble
involved in growing your fruit.

The only real hazard facing potatoes is prolonged wet soil.