Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
PEHowland PEHowland is offline
Registered User

Question Mossy, uneven patchy lawn on (very) sandy soil

I recently moved house. The new house has an awful back garden. The lawn is patchy and full of moss. The soil beneath the lawn ranges from almost pure sand to a light, sandy topsoil. (I live in Holland - I guess this was part of the seabed a few hundred years ago!). The garden lawn is partially sunny - a fence shades one half of the lawn for much of the day.

What should I do?

I have tried a bit of moss killer, but it is clear that this is going to leave me with a *lot* of bare patches. I'm thinking that the only thing to do is to rotavate the whole garden, apply a layer of topsoil and then lay new turf. Is this the best approach? Or is there something else I should do?