Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best way to lawn grass

In article 89f73583-1f96-4f65-849c-
,
says...
On 28 Feb, 21:17, secret_cypher secret_cypher.
wrote:
Hi all,

My first post here sso hopefully you can help me here.

Seeding is usually preferable, but you do need to work a very fine
tilth to get best germination. It is a lot of work, and laying
strings to keep the birds off really is a good idea - although I know
the use of almost invisible black cotton can be a death trap to some.

Here on heavy clay turfing is normally used because of the problems of
getting a fine enough tilth and good enough germination. You can
cover the seeds with a fine copmpost and grit instead, but that's a
lot of work too.

It's rather late to start for this summer, so you will have to get
straight into it. You must keep the moisture right - don't let it dry
out, but don't waterlog it.

There was a fashion for "treated" seeds a few years ago to improve
germination and (allegedly) improve drying tolerance during
germination, but I've not heard much about that lately.

Saw a programme once where the seed was sown in a potting compost mix and
left in a moist heap in a greenhouse until it germinated then was
broadcast as a mixture already germinated (apparently most birds will not
eat seed once its germinated)
This was stated as a good way of speeding the process up, but it was
pointed out that once germination occured you HAD to get the job finished
and broadcast the seed/compost mix
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk