Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default This is the kind of speech we need to stir the political pot.

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

Yeah, and taking votes away from the Green who could become
a real alternative to the corporate Republicrates that run
the country now. I would encourage anyone from a state that
is strongly Republican or Democrat to vote for the Greens
to maintain their electoral funding.

but most states don't even recognise the Green party, so we
couldn't vote for them as an alternative. NH *used* to have
the Libertarian party on the ballot, but they were removed
about 12 years ago (& haven't returned yet, despite the Free
Staters)
lee

While the sitting president and the potential Presidential candidates
are good sources for garden fertilizer, if you have you can vote for a
third party candidate without scaring yourself, I would strongly
recommend it. The Democrats will win in California, so I can safely vote
for anyone else. I truly can only see a nickel's worth of difference in
the candidates. All of them would keep us mired in, what I see as, a
phony "war on terrorism", keep troops in the middle east, and leave is
with this abortion of a farm bill.

Speaking of agriculture, my two dwarf peach trees are flowering and I
have some wild onions that need a reapplication of newsprint and mulch.
Bought an artichoke yesterday and now need to put it in the ground with
another one that I have in a pot (It was in the ground but was being
pillaged by rampaging gastropods. Speaking of gastropods, while your
garden is still damp is the time to get out there and give them a good
dose of iron phosphate.). I plan to separate them (the artichokes, not
the gastropods) by five to six feet. Think that's enough? I hope to get
some echinacea and a half dozen or so mammoth sunflowers to grow around
them. This will be in front (south side) of a trellis for bitter melons.

I tried some fancy mesculim salad mixes last year. All were disasters
that only left me with arugula, which grows like a weed here, and which
I can't stand the taste of. This year it is back to romaine, lolo rosso,
and the basics. I was told that my purslane (omega-3 rich) would become
an invasive weed but so far, no sign of its' return.

Most of my herbs, known and unknown, made it through the winter although
the local gray squirrels pawed through them looking for something to
eat. I was surprised to see the bird feeder down in sunflower seed.
I've heard birds, including our blue colored jays (happy?) but I haven't
seen any at the feeder which is mostly for wrens and bushtits.

Sunday, looks like a barbecue day here (full Sun and temps in the high
60Fs. I'll carp my diem while I can. Who knows how long it will last?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi,
Bush & Cheney to the Hague