Old 02-03-2008, 02:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Watering with soft water

On Mar 1, 9:25�pm, willshak wrote:

My house was built without a water softener. When Culligan put in a
water softener a couple of years later, it was installed right after,
and next to the expansion tank in the main line from the well, so all
water was softened. When I replaced the water softener years later with
a Kenmore digital unit, I tapped off the main water line before the
softener and ran a direct line to the outdoor spigots and to a filtered
small drinking faucet on the kitchen sink.

Obviously the Culligan guy didn't know what he was doing, more likely
lazy and didn't care about you. It's just plain silly to have outside
hose bibs connected to a softened water system.... if you had an
automatic irrigation system for your lawn it would be idiotic to have
it connected to softened water... not to say there aren't those with
more dollars than brain cells.

The only reason for having softened water at a hose bib is if one is
car collecting fanatic and can't tolerate the thought of spotting on
their Maserati ... although today's modern car wash compounds are
designed to obviate spotting the same as those dishwashing additives.