Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Sprouted Onions

On 02 Mar 2008 05:10:24 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

My onions from the store didn't get cooked enough, so now they've sprouted.
I'm planning on planting them, but have never successfully done onion
before. (I tried planting seeds from the store, but that didn't work out.)

Any suggestions or advice? I think I'm in Zone 6, Central Illinois. (I
haven't checked a zone map recently, though, so I may be off by one.)

Puckdropper

An onion is classed as a biennial which means it normally takes 2
years to go from seed to seed.
Having sprouted, your onions will be starting their second year and
will want to flower.
They will probably produce an enlarged bulb but, it will have a flower
stock up through the center plus it will be much less dense than a
first year plant. Because of this it will have a very short storage
life.
Better to try again from (fresh) seed.
One other option is to plant your sprouted onions, let them flower and
go to seed, then harvest the seed.

Ross.