Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bobo Bobo is offline

Default Sprouted Onions

On 02 Mar 2008 05:10:24 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

My onions from the store didn't get cooked enough, so now they've sprouted.
I'm planning on planting them, but have never successfully done onion
before. (I tried planting seeds from the store, but that didn't work out.)

Any suggestions or advice? I think I'm in Zone 6, Central Illinois. (I
haven't checked a zone map recently, though, so I may be off by one.)

Puckdropper

I don't know how your sprouted onions might work out but here in
central Ohio, after many years of planting sets I switched to seeds a
few years back and have far better results. You must use a long day
variety for our climate. The key for me has been early planting in a
bed prepared the previous year and covering the seeds with seed
starting mix or compost, not the heavy clay mix in my garden.