Old 02-03-2008, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters[_3_] CWatters[_3_] is offline

Default Jackdaws

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
snip
They're definitely nest building. One is in an ash tree visible from
my
study window. It tweaks off twigs and flies off with them to my

study
chimney!
I'd forgotten this charming but destructive habit of theirs!

Mine are fighting up on the roof as I write, the noise and banging is
incredible :-)

We are convinced our local Jackdaws (we have hundreds around us) swear at

us
down the chimneys since we fitted bird guards to them all.

Mike

We discovered a bird had fallen down our chimney last week. Couldn't deal
with him for an hour as kids had to be taken to school. Took all the baffles
out of the chimney only to find he'd gone. Somehow he'd climbed back up on
his own.

Lots of other excitment here.... I've recently just put a camera in our bird
box and it's already had two visits by Blue Tits. At least I think that's
what they are. We also have red kites in the field at the back. Normally
they keep well away but I came out to find them overhead our house two days
ago.

Got some mysterious holes appearing that I'm hoping aren't caused by
rabbits. They look a bit small for rabbits - only 2" across. No droppings so
we're not sure what they are. They seem to be making a bit of a mess so they
may have to go whatever they are.