Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JC JC is offline

Default Raised Bed Vegetable Planting

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:22?am, Richard Price Richard.Price.
wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

I have now ordered some untreated wood and will construct another
planter. Does anyone know what I can treat the wood with, that will
not
harm my veg?

--
Richard Price

Richard,
Your best bet is to use redwood. It naturally resists rot and
insects and will not harm your vegetables. It is pricy, though.

If you can find old growth heartwood from a redwood tree, I would agree
with loco BUT that is hard to find here in California, so your chance in
the UK, I presume, would be much lower. The next time I repair my raised
bed, I think I'll look into plasticized decking wood but check it out,
it may leach undesired chemicals as well. Otherwise, the 2" x 12"s that
I used for my box seem to be good for at least 10 years. Keep your
construction simple in order to make any replacements simple.

Bon appétit.

Some people use tires for raised beds.
Contrary to popular belief, they are inert and do not poison the soil.

And you can get them for free.

They paint well if you are worried about looks. ;-)
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain

I'n going to try some of this.

www.earthbox.com