Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Tomatoes

On Mar 3, 1:28 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"Keith \(Dorset\)" writes:

| We grew Beefsteak and Sweet Million last year.
|
| The Beefsteak were fine for chopping up in chutney - but really tastless.

That's OK if you like insipid chutneys or merely want to use the
tomato as a vehicle. My experience of Beefsteak is that it is
structurally good for stuffing, but scarcely worth eating in any
form. Even in California ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Beefsteak? That is a variety name rather than just a style?
Large tomatoes can be very delicious. Cath who posts here sometimes,
raved about Marmande (French variety)? I am keen to try some this
year but not if they are tasteless. I am sure it depends on the
variety.