Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_5_] Omelet[_5_] is offline

Default and so it begins,

In article
,
Billy wrote:

BTW, keep in mind that Heybub exists to yank chains...

I shoulda guessed but sometimes he passes for bright.

He actually is very bright.
That's what makes him so good at it. g
He's the list clown but he sometimes says stuff that will tick off even
the most patient of people. Deliberately.

It's funny. At one time in my life, I thought that a 1 world, global
government would have been a good thing. Maybe we'd finally have peace.
But I have to consider what the price would be.

Oh, I dunno, I doubt it would be global government in any meaningful
sense. The members of the UN Security Council can jam-up any UN
initiative, if not, Israel would have been toast long ago. I'm not pro
or con sense I don't know enough but if supplying clean water and water
treatment would keep us from being the enemies in the eyes of the world,
it may not be a bad thing.

Oh I'd love to see a decent standard of living world wide, but the
corruption of various third world country governments seems to prevent
that. Mexico could be one of the wealthiest countries in the world, AND
be the breadbasket of the world with their climate and workforce! Many
of the out of season veggies we've been getting here are from Mexico.
It's been nice to once again enjoy Avocados for $.25 each.

The real problem seems to be that the Third World aspires to our life
style. A life style that's not sustainable even for those already in the
First World. The US alone consumes a quarter of the world's energy. For
everyone to have a First World life style, it would increase humanity's
impact on the world by a factor of twelve. Our children's generation
will be the first not to live better than their parents.

Depends on our energy sources. So long as we are dependent on fossil
fuels, that will continue to be an issue.

The oil cartels have a stranglehold on the world economy.

In Jarod Diamond's book, "Collapse", he ponders the question, "What was
the man cutting down the last tree on Easter Island thinking"? Half of
the worlds forests have been harvested, and all that that means (loss of
drinking water, top soil, wildlife habitat, rain, clean air), and half
of what remains will be gone by 2036. The wild food from the oceans is
nearly fished out and that protein will have to be replaced by
something. We are rapidly approaching that point when people will say,
"What were they thinking?" The crisis point (2050) is not that far away.

I won't disagree...

Oh, before I forget, cooking tomatoes makes the lycopene more available
nutritionally. Doesn't taste the same but is healthier to eat.

Yes. :-) I've looked at that too. It's why I buy tomato paste! And have
been trying to incorporate it into our diets more. It makes a good low
carb thickener and has good flavor. I can get it salt free too.

And Garlic Powder is higher in Allicin than fresh garlic...
It sits better on my stomach too. Either one makes my sweat stink of
sulphur tho'. g

I didn't know that about garlic powder. Any idea why it would be higher?

It's concentrated and the drying process does not destroy the Allicin.
I suppose I could google for a cite, but I do remember reading it
somewhere, just not where.

Your new to marketing aren't you?

Not really. ;-)
What makes you say that?

Clear made the soil warmer than black? Really?

I was surprised too. Check
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber...pt%2000/redmul
ch.pdf

http://lubbock.tamu.edu/horticulture...sticMulchTypeo
nTomatoGrowthandYield_2004_.pdf

Fascinating! I'm guessing the increased spectrum might have something
to do with it.

Been lookin' at the weather maps. Seems like you run 10F ahead of us.
When do you plant?

First part of April. We are often "surprised" with a mid-March frost.

Map changed today, you're 20 F warmer.

It's in the 40's outside right now. We are running the furnace, but I
have my bedroom window open. I like it cooler in the house than dad
does. But, he _is_ 75. I'm just glad that he was willing to move back
in with me. I don't want him living alone any more. We can work with the
thermostat wars. g

You probably won't see this until you get off work, so I hope your night
went well and you carried to a relaxing sleep quickly.

And I don't always do e-mail and usenet, even on a Saturday. g Depends
on how tired I am. Sometimes it's more relaxing to just cook a good meal
for dad, watch a movie or two, and get caught up on sleep.

I like cooking as well. Fortunately, we are already used to eating late.

I eat when I get hungry. Generally twice per day altho' if I'm really
busy, I may only eat once when I settle in for the evening...

hasta luego,

Buenos Dias.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain