Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_5_] Omelet[_5_] is offline

Default Newbie advice needed

In article ,
Rick wrote:

Secondly. Compost sterilising? How do you go about doing this?

Also the compost I have seems very spacious - by that I mean there
seems to be a lot of pockets of air between the soil particles - do you
need to compress this down or am I best using a different thing for
growing in altogether?

thanks in advance. I look forward to a response

I've tried growing herbs indoors at work under the fluorescent lights.
Everything bolted and got leggy.

If you are going to try this, you will need some good grow lights in
order for it to work.

Best way to sterilize compost is to pressure cook it for 20 minutes.
Alternately, you can bake it but I can't recall the temp off the top of
my head to sterilize it. You could probably google for that. :-)

Good luck!

But won't these methods kill all the bacteria, fungi etc. that make compost so
rich and alive? Your compost should be light and fluffy.

I personally don't sterilize compost. I was just trying to help the OP
with a method for doing so if he thought it necessary...
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain