Old 03-03-2008, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Mossy, uneven patchy lawn on (very) sandy soil

"PEHowland" wrote in message

I recently moved house. The new house has an awful back garden. The
lawn is patchy and full of moss. The soil beneath the lawn ranges from
almost pure sand to a light, sandy topsoil. (I live in Holland - I
guess this was part of the seabed a few hundred years ago!). The
garden lawn is partially sunny - a fence shades one half of the lawn
for much of the day.

What should I do?

I have tried a bit of moss killer, but it is clear that this is going
to leave me with a *lot* of bare patches. I'm thinking that the only
thing to do is to rotavate the whole garden, apply a layer of topsoil
and then lay new turf. Is this the best approach? Or is there
something else I should do?

Moss kill, maybe lime, and fertilizer. When the moss dies out, reseed.

Many people I've seen with mossy lawns never fertilize. Grass needs food to grow
well.