Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Chickens and mulching

In article , "Dioclese" NONE
wrote:

Have last year's raised garden overrun with Bermuda grass. Couldn't keep up
with it for weeding. I remember the chicken coop and fenced in area around
it many years ago growing up. The chickens kept everything preened, no
green could grow. My plan is to spread that soil out some and put a chicken
coop and fenced open area for the chickens. Adjacent to it, I plan to start
another raised area with store bought soil with chicken feces and green
kitchen refuse to lay for a year or 2.

Central TX. High alkaline soil (mostly, if not all, limestone rocks and
caliche). Poor rainfall. High summer temps bleeding over to fall. Native
ashe juniper leaf-fall affects all plant growth rate from rain run-off.

My intent is to eventually create a self sustaining adjacent garden to feed
the chickens and me. Rotating every 3 years, garden for chicken area.
Possibly, the coop on skids to ease the move.

Best grain to plant to support the chickens with least square footage
impact?

Flax and grass. http://www.lionsgrip.com/pastured.html

Flax doesn't need much water.

I can create shade if needed over the fallow field. Should I use a soaker
hose or just water it down once in awhile?

Please, no oil-based fertilizer suggestions.

--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Bush & Cheney to the Hague