Old 04-03-2008, 05:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Watering with soft water

In article ,
wrote:

there is a lot of water needed to backwash the resin (if paying for the
water) plus
the electricity. then there are the iron prefilters to replace. on my
mothers house
the water is very hard and she used a service, rented the equipment, somebody
carried
the bags down into the basement and filled the softener. $45 every 3 months.
She
had extensive gardens and I can see that it could have doubled the price if
she didnt
have well water for the gardens. this doesnt even include the price she paid
for
city water which I am not even sure how much that costs cause the renters pay
for
that now.
We dont have a softener. During 3 months we use about 12-15 ccf in winter,
about 30
or more ccf in summer. 30.0 ccf = $164.89. Remember that sewage fees are
based on
USAGE it doesnt matter if that water for the garden doesnt go down the drain.
Well
water costs nothing but the electricity to pump it and the pump replaced
every 25
years or so. Ingrid

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:09:52 -0800, Billy wrote:

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

wrote:

not to mention is very expensive to use soft water. ?

What do you call "very expensive"?

A 40 pound bag of salt will typically produce about 6,000 gallons of
softened water... a 40 pound bag of salt costs about $4.50.

Actually that same $4.50 worth of salt can save the average household
about $45 worth of cleaning products each month... not to mention the
time and effort of cleaning, and will save more than 6,000 gallons of
water each month (mostly hot water) because softened water is just
that much more efficient at cleaning. Softened water is kind to your
plumbing too, will save untold thousands in plumbing bills over the
life of the water softener (about 20 years).

If one lives in a hard water locale *not* having a water softener is
VERY expensive.

This was about gardening Shelly, not plumbing. Toxification of the
landscape and all that. St. Molly used to say, when you find yourself in
a hole, stop digging.

Soft water is good for the bathtub/shower, laundry, and the dishwasher.
For drinking, hard water is probably better (mineral water).
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Bush & Cheney to the Hague