Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default Watering with soft water

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:22:49 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
"Ryan P." wrote:

Billy wrote:

H2S + 2CO2 - H2SO4 + C2 doesn't make any sense. Makes all other
statements questionable.

.
.
I don't know about the chemical equation there, but I do know that my
home inspector told me the same thing about making sure there was a
valve on the outside spigots to prevent backflow for that very reason...
also good for keeping fertilizers and the like out of your pipes.

H2SO4 is sulfuric acid. H2S + 2CO2 - H2SO4 + C2 doesn't make any sense.

I think the CO2 was incidental to the discussion. There may be some
biological reactions where bacteria are removing the carbon from the
CO2, releasing oxygen, which then combines with the H2S, but that's
getting a bit far afield here. More frequently the bacteria remove
the oxygen from the sulfate, use it to metabolize some organic
compounds and release the CO2 from that metabolism.