Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default Watering with soft water

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:39:37 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Charles wrote:

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:20:15 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

hydrogen sulfide is created by bacteria. in water it goes into solution
as
H2SO4,
sulfuric acid. of course, in a well both H2S and CO2 are under pressure
and
when
they are pumped out they de-gas. In the burbs outside Milwaukee well
water
can get
contaminated by the bacteria if there isnt a valve on the outside hoses to
prevent
back flushing of soil (with bacteria) into the tank and then into the
well.
or, if
the well casing starts to break down letting soil into the well. IIRC the
bacteria
feed off the iron in the water releasing the H2S. Anyway. the wells
often
need to
be cleaned by dumping bleach down in there and then flushed to get rid of
the
bacteria. there is probably more H2S in the bottom of a typical pond than
in
well
water. soaker hoses dont stand up long to well water unless there are
very
good
filters on them. personal experience. Ingrid

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 07:27:57 -0600, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
Similar question here. How about hydrogen sulfide gas from well water.
Its
filtered out before entering home plumbing. Hose bibs are connected to
the
same home plumbing.

Normally, I use the 2 standalone faucets outside for irrigation. These
have
no filtration whatsoever. Any special notes on soaker hoses for this
situation?

H2S + 2CO2 - H2SO4 + C2 doesn't make any sense. Makes all other
statements questionable.

**Sulfur dioxide**

Flange head, we were talking about hydrogen sulfide, not sulfur dioxide.
You're an idiot. If you don't know the difference between sulfide and
sulfite, then don't respond to the question. H2S vs. SO2 (rotten eggs
vs. brimstone). What an imbecile.
Idiot. Moron. Get my drift?

No, I don't.

I started talking about sulfur dioxide because it was appropriate to
what I had to say. Not too complicated, is it?

What I was getting to was the H2S and the CO2 combination, CO2 drifted
into the thread some time ago.

and water combine to form sulfurous acid, H2SO3. This
slowly oxidizes to form sulfuric acid, H2SO4. Sulfur dioxide can also
oxidize to sulfur trioxide, which will then combine with water to form
sulfuric acid.

Sulfate reducing bacteria can remove the oxygen from the acid.

H2SO4 - H2S + 2O2

The H2SO4 while in water will be ionized and may be associated with
other cations, calcium, magnesium, the like. So the above description
is only a rough description of what is going on.