Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default A bit of colour on a dull day-8525

"Marutchi" BarbaraH*REMOVE wrote in message

Mary what are the temperatures like in mid April? All things going the
right way (which with my luck, they wont) , I will be in England for a few
days in April, I'm worried sick about the weather and what clothes to pack
(I barely function in cold weather). I realise that weather patterns are
changing but if you could give me a bit of clue about what I can expect,
I'd be most grateful.

LOL!

There are no constants in England. Last April was very hot and dry, it broke
all records. We ate out (in the garden) every day and I had to water growing
seedlings frequently. The rest of the year was wetter than all records.

April is usually wet!

Then there's the problem of where in England (or other parts of UK) you are.
In the west it's usually wetter than in the east at all times of year. In
East Anglia it's usually windy at all times of year. If you're going there
(Suffolk, Norfolk, parts of Lincolnshire) take hat, gloves and scarf. It's
usually a couple of degrees cooler in Yorkshire than it is in London and on
the south coast it's warm even in winter, it's known as the English Riviera.
We were once in Bournemouth at Easter and it snowed (but hardly), to the
consternation of all the locals and especially the birds, who'd never seen
snow before. If you're on the Cumbrian fells it will be windy. If you're in
the Lake District expect rain.

For such a small land mass you'd think that there couldn't be such
variations but we heat up and cool down rapidly and are influenced by the
seas, especially the Gulf Stream. That makes it possible to grow fruit crops
in parts of Scotland which couldn't be considered in parts of England. It's
often said that we have a wonderful climate despite terrible weather :-)

If I were you I wouldn't worry about what to pack, I doubt that it will be
numbingly cold. I've never known that in April. It would help to know where
you'll be. Make sure you have an umbrella - then it will be nice and dry for
your stay :-) You shouldn't need clothing for Arctic conditions but
sun-bathing kit will be inappropriate too.

Oh - and don't rely on weather forecasts. They're not always wrong.

I'm serious.

Mary