Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Bashy Bashy is offline
Registered User

Default Advice on Planting Dahlia's and Begonia's

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.
I live in Essex & this year I have 12 Dahlia and 18 Begonia bulbs/tubers to plant.
This is the first time at planting bulbs (I am a relatively new gardener) and have read conflicting arguments on various forums.
I would like to get the best and earliest start to my plants. Currently I do not have a greenhouse or a coldframe. I do however have a 5 tier growhouse (It cost me £30 from the local Garden centre).
I have read that I can start the begonia bulbs indoors about a month before the last frost.
Is this true, and when do I know that the last frost has gone?

I have not found any decent advice when it comes to the dahlia's.
When can I start these tubers indoors?
On the instructions that came with the Dahlia's it say's 'plant from March onwards' , but then further on, under EXPERT ADVICE, it say's 'for early blooms, start the bulbs indoors in April' ???????

Can anyone give me any advice on when's best to start these two plants indoors and any general advice on planting.
I have already planned my garden plants this year and the Begonia and Dahlia's are a big part.
I was hoping to put each tuber/bulb in a pot, keep it indoors and when I start seeing activity, plant it outside in the final position (obvioulsy as long as it isn't too cold).
Am I wrong in thinking that I can get away with doing this?
If I do plant them in pots and keep them indoors, do they need to be on a windowsill, or just is a warmish room?

Sorry about this, but this really is only my second year of gardening, last year I bought all the plants from the Garden centre and it cost me a fortune. This year I'm hoping to save money and also put on a better show of flowers.

Also, I've found some good advice on planting the begonia bulbs (on the surface with the 'hollow' part facing up, but strange advice with the dahlia's.
I've read that they need to be planted horizontally with the eyes facing up. What are the eyes? I don't think mine have them, although they are still in the packets though.

Thanks in advance.

PLEASE HELP.

Regards