Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Advice on Planting Dahlia's and Begonia's

Bashy wrote:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.
I live in Essex & this year I have 12 Dahlia and 18 Begonia
bulbs/tubers to plant.

I have not found any decent advice when it comes to the dahlia's.
When can I start these tubers indoors?
On the instructions that came with the Dahlia's it say's 'plant from
March onwards' , but then further on, under EXPERT ADVICE, it say's
'for early blooms, start the bulbs indoors in April' ???????

Also, I've found some good advice on planting the begonia bulbs (on the
surface with the 'hollow' part facing up, but strange advice with the
dahlia's.
I've read that they need to be planted horizontally with the eyes
facing up. What are the eyes? I don't think mine have them, although
they are still in the packets though.

Thanks in advance.

PLEASE HELP.

Regards

Bashy,

As to when to start your Dahlias it depends on when you plan on putting
them outdoors. I generally start some on mine inside in the middle of
March so that they can be put outdoors towards the end of May (6 to 8
weeks after starting them). Dahlias do not like cold soil and around
here the ground is warm enough by the end of May to put them outdoors.
You need to find out when it is "safe" to put them out in your area.

The "eyes" are at the top of the tubulars. They are where the plant
growth comes from. There should be a least one per tubular and packaged
plants generally have several tubulars per plant.

A good way to start them inside is to get pots slightly larger than the
Dahlia tubular. I use regular potting mix. You want to be sure to not
over water them or the tubulars will rot (use the same watering
guideline if you start them outdoors). Keep them in a warm area and
when growth starts give them lot of light.

My website, http://members.iglou.com/brosen/dahlias1.htm shows some of
the ones that I have grown the last few years. I hope yours do as well
as mine.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years