Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
tuckermor tuckermor is offline

Default Upside down tomatos

I just remembered--we once tried them with cucumbers. They did pretty well,
but just grew straight down. Once again, not very attractive, but lots of
cukes.

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"tuckermor" wrote:

I tried them, when I got tired of my hanging baskets of strawberries.

I tried 2 kinds of tomatoes, Early Girl and one other which I've
forgotten.
We don't have a good tomato climate--too cool. They did about the same as
plants in the ground, a little smaller. BUT on one kind (and, I'm sorry,
don't remember which) almost every fruit rotted before it ripened because
of
water dripping on it; watering was from a tiny sprinkler stuck in the top
of
the hanging container.

We used small plants from the nursery, in potting soil with a time
release
fertilizer. As soon as they started growing they realized they were
upside
down, and turned up. Eventually the weight of it all pulled them down,
but
it was not graceful. Same thing with the petunias I tried in them the
following year.

The whole setup was interesting, but unattractive.
--

My problem would be having someplace to hang them. g

I'm thinking of topping the soil with sphagnum to also cut back on
watering.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain