Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Hanging plants

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I have four hanging baskets that I want to plant with something. It's a
toss up between strawberries and flowers. I could us some advice on the
type of strawberry or some help in finding flowering plants that will
cascade. Nasturtium is one choice because it already grows like a weed
here. I'm in USDA 9b, 70 miles north of San Francisco, in the costal
hills, the baskets will get 6 - 8 hrs of full sun and some partial sun.

Thanks for any help.

How about Impatiens ? We love double impatiens. Think roses with no
thorns that you can cut and root over winter.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...994/impat.html

http://www.gardenmediagroup.com/SBRelease5_6_02.htm

http://images.google.com/images?clie...ouble+impatien
s&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/3as8jj

Bill who wishes they were edible

It seems near the house, where there isn't much continuous Sun, they
would be OK but I am planning on having them out in the garden in full
Sun for 6 - 8 hours/day. Would they be OK or would they fry?

They would fry most likely. They like shade and moisture. Still a
micro climate of your design may help them give you lots of color.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather