Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Omelet[_5_] Omelet[_5_] is offline

Default Hanging plants

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I have four hanging baskets that I want to plant with something. It's
toss up between strawberries and flowers. I could us some advice on
the
type of strawberry or some help in finding flowering plants that will
cascade. Nasturtium is one choice because it already grows like a
weed
here. I'm in USDA 9b, 70 miles north of San Francisco, in the costal
hills, the baskets will get 6 - 8 hrs of full sun and some partial
sun.

Thanks for any help.

How about Impatiens ? We love double impatiens. Think roses with no
thorns that you can cut and root over winter.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...994/impat.html

http://www.gardenmediagroup.com/SBRelease5_6_02.htm

http://images.google.com/images?clie...double+impatie
s&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/3as8jj

Bill who wishes they were edible

It seems near the house, where there isn't much continuous Sun, they
would be OK but I am planning on having them out in the garden in full
Sun for 6 - 8 hours/day. Would they be OK or would they fry?

They would fry most likely. They like shade and moisture. Still a
micro climate of your design may help them give you lots of color.

Bill

Still I've been looking for some color on the front porch. Sounds like
they may be the ticket for that.

My mom always planted petunias. They always did fine in direct sunlight,
but they don't cascade like you want.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain