Old 05-03-2008, 05:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Watering with soft water

Appreciate your input. I've done alot of homework regarding the anaerobic
bacteria that produce such gas, their typical habitats, and so forth. There
are pockets of water that are referred to as wells that have suitable
habitat for these bacteria, just as a peat bottomed pond does. These reside
there whether a well is drilled or not.

A one-way check valve at the bib can serve the same purpose you speak of.
Even though it wasn't designed for that in mind.

Nevertheless, the hydrogen sulfide gas originates from the well since day 1
it was tapped.

There are many considerations for "shocking" a well. That includes my
neighbors that may sharing the same water who may pump bleach, and drink it.
I prefer to deal with it as it is for my purposes without treatment for
irrigation.

The aerator in my filtration system forces air into the water while in a
storage bottle. This changes into sulfuric acid and sinks to the bottom of
the bottle. Every 24 hours, its mixed with incoming water and flushed to a
french drain automatically. The live oaks in the vicinity, and St.
Augustine grass above the french drain don't seem to mind it. The way I
look at it the acidity of the watered down sulfuric acid and the alkalinity
of the limestone rock and caliche native to the local area are doing
something good in the mix.
--
Dave

My vote in this primary was for the lesser
of many evils...
wrote in message
. com...
hydrogen sulfide is created by bacteria. in water it goes into solution
as H2SO4,
sulfuric acid. of course, in a well both H2S and CO2 are under pressure
and when
they are pumped out they de-gas. In the burbs outside Milwaukee well
water can get
contaminated by the bacteria if there isnt a valve on the outside hoses to
prevent
back flushing of soil (with bacteria) into the tank and then into the
well. or, if
the well casing starts to break down letting soil into the well. IIRC the
bacteria
feed off the iron in the water releasing the H2S. Anyway. the wells
often need to
be cleaned by dumping bleach down in there and then flushed to get rid of
the
bacteria. there is probably more H2S in the bottom of a typical pond than
in well
water. soaker hoses dont stand up long to well water unless there are
very good
filters on them. personal experience. Ingrid

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 07:27:57 -0600, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
Similar question here. How about hydrogen sulfide gas from well water.
Its
filtered out before entering home plumbing. Hose bibs are connected to
the
same home plumbing.

Normally, I use the 2 standalone faucets outside for irrigation. These
have
no filtration whatsoever. Any special notes on soaker hoses for this
situation?