Old 05-03-2008, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lord0 Lord0 is offline

Default Lawn, sharp sand, garden forks et al

Hi there,

My lawn needs it drainage improved (a common ailment).

Once a year (usually Autumn, sometimes Spring) I go over it with my
garden fork, wiggling the fork around and then brushing sharp sand
over the lawn (and hopefully into the holes).

This does seem to help - but not much.

My questions a

1. How often can you do the whole, fork the lawn, brush in sand
process? I suspect I could do it more than once a year but I also
suspect that at some point it will start to do more harm than good.

2. Would brushing sand over the lawn (without first forking) be of any
use?

3. Would a "hollow tine aerator" be a marked improvement over the
plain old garden fork?

4. Are the shoes you can buy with the spikes on them which are meant
to aerate your lawn any good or just a gimick?

5. etc etc

Cheers

Lord0