Old 06-03-2008, 02:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper pied piper is offline

Default Lawn, sharp sand, garden forks et al

"Lord0" wrote in message

I'm presuming you've got a moss problem?

Ya - lots of it

My questions a
1. How often can you do the whole, fork the lawn, brush in sand
process? I suspect I could do it more than once a year but I also
suspect that at some point it will start to do more harm than good.

Unlikely to do much harm if you do it 4 times a year. Football pitches
are treated regularly.

I suspected as much

4. Are the shoes you can buy with the spikes on them which are meant
to aerate your lawn any good or just a gimick?

If you are a clown, then they may be good.

Hehe

A good lawn takes constant work to get right. What sand are you using -
builders sharp sand? or the fine silver sand?

Sharp sand - how much should I spread at a time i.e. how deep should
it sit on the lawn?

and thanks for your time

sharp sand is no god for ur lawn it will not blend with your soil profile
creating a root break use proper lawn sand or just keep ur lawn aerated
regularly and top dress each autumn with a 70/30 sand soil mixture