Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Planting hedges

Yes! Replace that overused, exotic poop with native plants like yaupon,
Dahoon holly, Possomhaw, Texas Mountain Laurel, Mexican Bush sage,
Autumn sage (salvia greggii) and a host of others, to mention a few.
I have over 116 links at:http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden for browsing.

Here's a list of stuff I put in since last fall:

Plant inventory - =

Perennials =B7 Asclepias tuberosa, Butterflyweed =B7 Teucrium
Germander =B7 Salvia
greggii, Autumn or Cherry Sage =B7 Salvia coccinea, Tropical or
Red Salvia =B7 Salvia
regla, Mountain Sage =B7 Salvia roemeriana, Cedar sage =B7 Salvia=

nemorosa =B7 Salvia
uligulosa, Bog Salvia =B7 Salvia microphylla =B7 Salvia
blepharophylla =B7 Salvia van houtii =B7
Salvia leucantha, Mexican Bush Sage =B7 Salvia texana =B7 Salvia
elegans =B7 Salvia
sinaloensis =B7 Yarrow =B7 Verbena =B7 Echinacea purpurea, Purple=

Coneflower =B7
Sophora tomentosa Yellow sophora, Gulf Coast Laurel =B7 Ruellia =B7=

Frogfruit =B7 Texas
Betony =B7 Lobelia cardinalis, Cardinal flower =B7 Canna, Dwarf
canna =B7 Copper
Canyon Daisy =B7 Blue Tuscan Rosemary =B7 Aster =B7 Phlox

Marsh plants =B7 Umbrella Palm =B7 Pennywort =B7 Bacopa =B7 Catta=
il =B7
Longwood Canna =B7
Wedelia hispida, Zexmania =B7 Louisiana Iris =B7 Wood violet =B7
Chameleon Plant =B7
Japanese Iris

Trees =B7 Quercus nigra ,Water Oak =B7 Sapium ,Chinese Tallow =B7=

Cercis canadensis,
Texas Redbud =B7 Persea borbonia, Redbay =B7 Sophora secundiflora=
,
Texas Mountain
Laurel =B7 Prunus mexicana, Mexican Plum =B7 Aesculus pavia, Texa=
Buckeye =B7
Parkinsonia aculeata, Retama =B7 Sassafras albidum

Shrubs =B7 Malphigia glabra, Barbados Cherry =B7 Callicarpa
americana, Beautyberry
=B7 Malvaviscus arboretum var. drummondii, Turk's Cap =B7 Lantana=

camera, West
Indian lantana =B7 Lantana horrida, Texas lantana =B7 Ilex Burfor=
Holly =B7 Pittosporum
tobra =B7 Ilex vomitoria, Yaupon =B7 Nandina domestica, Heavenly
Bamboo =B7 Ilex
cassine, Dahoon Holly =B7 Ilex decidua, Possumhaw Holly =B7
Leucophyllum, Texas
Sage, Cenizo =B7 Leucophyllum, Texas Sage variety, Green Cloud =B7=

Hesperaloe
parviflora, Red Yucca =B7 Cassia alata, Candlestick Plant =B7
Hamelia patens,
Hummingbird bush =B7 Chilopsis linearis, Desert Willow =B7
Anisacanthus quadrifidus,
var. wrightii, Flame Acanthus =B7 Azalea, Azalea "George L. Tabor=
"

Vines =B7 Crossvine =B7 Pink Jasmine =B7 White Grape =B7 Aristolo=
chia,
Pipevine =B7
Bougainvillea =B7 Passiflora coriacea, Batwing passionflower =B7
Passiflora coccinea,
Red passionflower =B7 Passiflora, Jeanette passionflower

Groundcover =B7 Shenandoah Switch Grass =B7 Penisteum? Red Dwarf
Bunnny Tail
Fountain Grass =B7 Penisteum? Black Fountain Grass =B7 Weeping Lo=
ve
Grass =B7 Rubus
trivialis Southern dewberry, Bramble =B7 Stipa, Mexican
feathergrass =B7 Bouteloua
curtipendula, Sideoats grama =B7 Muhlenbergia capillaris, Gulf
muhly =B7 Carex
Texnesis, Texas sedge =B7 Carex Glaucua, Blue sedge

Gary Harper wrote:
=

I have some Red Tipped Phenias in my yard that are about 5 or 6 feet ta=

ll.
They are too big for my taste and I want to replace them with some type=

of
short shrubs that I can keep at 2 to 3 feet tall.
=

When is a good time for planting shrubs?
=

Thanks,
Gary

-- =