Old 06-03-2008, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default compost

On Mar 5, 9:47*am, Sacha wrote:
On 5/3/08 09:27, in article ,
"®óñ© *© *²°¹°-°²" wrote:

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 22:29:10 +0000, Sacha
wrote and included this (or some of this):

It's important to use seed compost because it won't over feed your
germinating seedlings. *Some/many seedlings won't even germinate in
ordinary
compost and as my husband says, "don't save pennies and waste pounds"..

I have absolutely no problem using a "general purpose compost"

(Toms, lettuce, cucumbers etc etc)

Then the OP must choose your personal experience over my husband's
professional experience of 60 years. *That's what newsgroups are about -
read the information and make your own choice.
His family grew lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers commercially in Essex before
he moved to Devon.

Absolutely. * My very small amount of hands-on use would certainly not
scale up to large scale- professional practice.
Mine works for me, yours for you.
Horses for courses, innit.

Yes and part of gardening is, of course, its failures, too. *It's all part
of learning. I think everyone has to push the boundaries a bit to see what
works for them. *Years ago, I read a book in which the author described how
she'd asked someone to clean out the stables, intending the manure to be
heaped up and left to rot down a bit. *As we are all told, fresh manure
direct onto plants is supposed to 'burn' them. *Well, to her horror she saw
her helper had put the manure straight onto her flower beds, inches deep and
she was terrified all her plants were going to be killed off. *In fact, they
thrived and grew wonderfully. *Whether that sort of thing is a question of
luck or not believing all you read, I don't know!

FWIW, I had a similar experience, spreading stuff I had received from
my local bull stud farm. It was much, much fresher than I expected,
and the only thing to look bad after I spread it was a pieris, which I
thought was evidence of burn by exceedingly fresh muck, but I later
discovered would have been happier in a pot with ericaceous compost -
where it thrives now. The rest of the bed, which had been middling
until then, just took off in the year that followed!

Cat(h)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon