Old 06-03-2008, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
ctlady ctlady is offline

Default Advice on Planting Dahlia's and Begonia's

After my begonias die off in the fall, I dig out the tubers, shake and
brush off the excess dirt and leave them on a table in an airy place
for a couple of days I remove the tops and then I store them either
in those plastic mesh onion bags with shavings or peat moss or in a
shallow cardboard box nestled in shavings or peat moss. I keep them
in my unheated cellar for the winter . . . .just as long as they don't
freeze you can do this. In February, I take a look at them, toss the
mushy or hopeless ones and start them over again for the new season.

On Mar 6, 7:35*am, enigma wrote:
ctlady wrote
ups.com:

leave them out all the time until they die off in the fall
and I store the tubers for the winter. *I hope this helps.

*can you also give tips for storing dahlias & begonias? that's
*my* downfall, i'm afraid. i really love both, but i don't
want to murder any more of the poor things.
*i have an unheated basement & the heated basement which
varies between 54F and mid-60sF during the winter (depending
on outside temps). i keep a dehumidifier on because it's
stone/dirt & the only humid part of the house.
lee