Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default Backyard Fence

Billy wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:
Hey Billy!

Don't lean too far over...my fence needs repairs!
lol!
~Rae

Whoa. Rachael how are you? Last I heard, things were dry in NC and it
doesn't sound like it got any better. How you doin'?

We are good, we've had some thunderstorms and lots of rain in the last
couple of weeks, but not nearly enough to put a dent in the drought levels.

What ever happened
to your pasture.

When they saw that we wouldn't be run over, they offered to fix things
back up after they finished fixing "their ditches" so that we could put
our livestock back. We had moved all the horses & cows here to the house
while everything was going on, so that we could be sure of their
wellbeing. We took the DOT up on their offer, and they almost have
everything completed. We have yet to decide whether or not we really
want to put our livestock back there. My FIL wants it, so we are
thinking of just renting it out to him.

How's the hay business?

Hay business is very slow right now. The drought sure did not do us any
favors there. We won't get started up in hay this year until the end of
April or so.

How are the kids?

The kids are doing great. They are currently "hiding" behind the rocking
chair and playing farm. Go figure, huh? lol! Wyatt will be 3 on the 21st
of this month. Breanna turned 1 in Jan. We did a BBQ for that of course,
and yes, we had all the trimmings. I thought of you and Charlie when
making the sauce!

How's your
winter tan coming along?

What winter tan? We actually had some cold weather, but not much. I was
really hoping for a bit of snow for the kids to play in some, but the
only time we had flurries here, it was about mid-night and they were
long fast asleep. The weather has been so wishy-washy with cold one day
and warm the next, that it's wrecked havoc on allergies, so I've not
really be out too much. Trying to keep the kids in so they will stay
well. Only one visit to the doctor this winter so far, and I want to
keep it that way.

Here, on the other coast, we've had a wet, but not exceptionally wet,
winter so far. If we don't get anymore rain, it will be just sorta
average.

You gonna be able to put in a garden this year or are you to busy
raising your family to fight "Mother Nature"?

Ha! I will put something in, just not sure of how much yet. Gotta have
the staples...beans, peas, peppers, cukes, maters, okra, and zukes!
Breanna is big enough that she can be out and about some when that time
comes around. We will be moving, so I'm not sure yet how that will
affect planting. We are in the process of buying a house & small farm
(105 acres), but at least it's bigger than our current place!

Thinking I may have to do some raised bed techniques, and some 5-gallon
buckets for the earlier crops. Any ideas or thoughts on that? I'm not
sure if I want to follow my grandfather's ritual of planting on Good
Friday this year or not. That's right around the corner and weather
still isn't quite right. I've been bit by the planting bug though! Can't
wait to get started!

Well, I smell a little stinker...Shew!

Catch ya later, watch that fence post there now. Gotta get round to
replacing it! lol

~Rae