Old 07-03-2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Hanging plants

On 3/4/2008 6:05 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/4/2008 9:41 AM, Billy wrote:
I have four hanging baskets that I want to plant with something. It's a
toss up between strawberries and flowers. I could us some advice on the
type of strawberry or some help in finding flowering plants that will
cascade. Nasturtium is one choice because it already grows like a weed
here. I'm in USDA 9b, 70 miles north of San Francisco, in the costal
hills, the baskets will get 6 - 8 hrs of full sun and some partial sun.

Thanks for any help.

A former neighbor had an azalea with double white flowers in a hanging
planter. It grew out and down, almost hiding the planter; and it
bloomed most of year. This was in an area that got afternoon sun with
100F+ summer temperatures, so I don't think a lack of shade would be a
problem in your area. However, depending on the size of the planter and
the potting mix, it might require daily watering. Unfortunately, I have
no idea what variety of azalea it was.

As for impatiens, you should inquire at a local nursery. In your area,
you might be able to grow it in full sun.

You might also consider "ground cover" roses. These are small,
shrub-like roses that grow more outward than upward. They are larger
than miniature roses. In a hanging basket without the ground to support
the thin branches, they should hang down. Some will bloom almost
continuously throughout the year.

I'm looking at a catalogue from Otto & Sons in Fillmore (Ventura County,
CA). They list the following as suitable for coastal climates:

'Flower Carpet' (in pink, apple blossom, red, white, and yellow varieties)

'Sun Runner' (yellow)

Note: I am not recommending Otto & Sons. I don't know the quality of
their plants. I got their catalogue when I made my first purchase there
today.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean