Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Plants for fence?

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:46:55 GMT, Eddy
wrote:

Can anyone suggest two attractive evergreen plants for along a fence?
See the following pictu
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...eedofcover.jpg

The position is south-facing and gets full sun - and, in winter, full
frost!

Along the road (as shown in blue) I'ld like to plant some
natural-looking evergreen groundcover.

To tumble from all along the top of the fence another natural-looking
evergreen is needed, preferably NOT aubrietia - which we already have
enough of elsewhere.

I would suggest trying a clematis armandii, which is evergreen, grows
fast and can be trained along the fence. You could try growing a
clematis montana, which also grows fast but is not fully evergreen but
the two could be allowed to grow together.
For ground cover I would try periwinkle (vinca). There are small
leaved ones which spread but stay low and have either blue/mauve or
white flowers, and there's a variegated one which spreads but can be
cut back each. It has nice blue/purple flowers.

Pam in Bristol