Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Leona Henderson

Default Hedges/drainage

superstar_etta wrote:

So I am a new home owner...no lanscaping experience. I have an area
of my yard along the fence that is very wet and not draining well.

It might be a good idea to wait until you are more familiar with the property during the
next year and then you would have better information as to how to handle it.

I was going to dig a channel put in a large PVC pipe with holes in it,
cover the pipe with gravel then dirt (the yard has a slope to a huge
field). Has anyone heard of doing this?

Usually referred to as a french drain so you might do a google search for 'French drains.' I had
one put in, hopefully to keep water out of my house during heavy rains.

I want to then plant
shrubs/hedges on top of all this. So I was wondering what shrubs are
strong enough for texas summers, but still benifit from alot of water?
Or can anyone think of another solution? We just bought the house
and I can't afford a landscaper and my dogs are getting wet and muddy
all the time. HELP PLEASE

It might be good to wait til you figure out the above before going to the expense of planting .
If you put in a drain, it may be wise to keep some distance from the drain to plant. Perhaps someone
else has better information on plants. Like even your county AG service. Also on this
www.groups.google.com you can search this news group as there is abundant info on Texas Native
plants in this news group.Good luck.

--
nTX USDA Z 7B