Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Backyard Fence

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:09:22 -0800, Billy wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised Billy hasn't killed me yet about the *fry*
comment...lol! cholesterol anyone? At least I don't fry them in lard
like my grandmother used to do!

No problemo. I got a special dispensation from Charlie this morning.

Go, and sin no more, my son.........

Speaking of lard.....I recently bought a pound to season a new dutch
oven and rehabilitate some old pieces I acquired and damned if they
hadn't gone and ruined lard by hydrogenating it. Bastids. When did
they start that crap? Gonna have to season me cast iron with organic
pig bacon, it seems.

In a similar vein.....other than olive oil, should one trust the oils
we have been led to believe are healthy? Canola, corn? Last I heard,
none of Canada's canola can be certified as organic on account of GM
contamination. One can assume the same for corn oil.

Today we made a large pot of vegetable zoup and had cornbread with it.
Guess what Lovey decided to use in the cornbread? She substituted the
bacon grease from this morning for the "healthy" oil. OMG......it's
been decades since we had cornbread that good.

Ha! Here's a market niche fer ya, Billy. Lard, from organic,
grass-fed hogs. Oh, the irony!

Hell, I keep this up, I'll be waitin' for *you* on the otherside of
this situation.

Care, brother, carefully
Charlie

Oh hell, just add plenty of salt to the oil or lard and scrub out the
pan. Don't rinse. If it is a long time before you re-use the pan, repeat
treatment and rinse.

Grass fed. That's the trick.
--

Billy