Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Hedges/drainage

That is the perfect reason for a bog garden. And you can design it where
dogs stay out. This would the least expensive and the best thing you
could do for a native habitat. You would be amazed that it:

1. attracts birds
2. attracts insects
3. atracts amphibians
4. is NOT a mosguito breeding ground
5. is a flood control/rention pond when filled with Canadian Sphagnum
peat moss
6. is a biofilter for rainwater
7. has year around interest

This would cost you about 1/4 to 1/3 what your other proposal would
cost.

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/boggardenjuly.jpg
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/boggarden1.jpg
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/streetview.jpg
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden - my habitat

superstar_etta wrote:
=

So I am a new home owner...no lanscaping experience. I have an area
of my yard along the fence that is very wet and not draining well. I
was going to dig a channel put in a large PVC pipe with holes in it,
cover the pipe with gravel then dirt (the yard has a slope to a huge
field). Has anyone heard of doing this? I want to then plant
shrubs/hedges on top of all this. So I was wondering what shrubs are
strong enough for texas summers, but still benifit from alot of water?
Or can anyone think of another solution? We just bought the house
and I can't afford a landscaper and my dogs are getting wet and muddy
all the time. HELP PLEASE

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html