Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mosquitoes in water butts!

"larunlady" wrote in message

Has anybody any ideas for killing mosquitoes (or may be they are just
midges!)
in my water butts? I use a natural soap based liquid to clean the
water, ie for algae and such like but I suspect I have insects of some
sort in there. I have recently been bringing watering cans in to come
to room temperature before I use it on my indoor plants and I have been
bitten to death by something. I use the water for topping up bird baths
so it can't be anything too toxic, but in desperation I could just use
something in the water for indoors that will kill them but not harm the
plants.

--
larunlady

A small fish or if you draw the water off using a tap then a thin coating of
veg oil will suffocate them (if you are dipping the water from the surface
then that won't work) that is what will always did in the far east.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs