Old 07-03-2008, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Orsemarinus officinalis Irene - UK available?

On 7/3/08 10:26, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 6/3/08 18:55, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

Sacha, have just discovered that that entire site, above, consists of
material taken from Wikipedia . . . which is largely USA-generated. So
perhaps not "frequently sold" in UK at all?

Eddy.

No idea, unless you're just going on R. officinalis. I didn't go further
than looking it up on your given information,the name 'Irene'. I don't know
where it's grown in UK. All I got was the site I posted for you. I have an
old Plant Finder on my desk (04-05) and there is no mention of such a
rosemary. Perhaps you could ask Olivier Filippi if he knows of it.

Rosmarinus officinalis 'Irene'? (Irene Rosemary): High Country Gardens
Seems it was found growing wild in northern california and has been
registered for plant breeders rights and the name trade marked, I have
not seen any outlets over here but no doubt it wont be long. I am a
little puzzled as I thought Rosemary was a med. plant? do they have their
own species in California or is it just a garden escape.

And bingo! I've had a brainwave and looked up San Marcos Growers in Santa
Barbara who propagate Ray's Nemesia out there. They have Rosemary
officinalis 'Irene'! I'm going to email them and ask if they know of an
outlet in UK. I imagine this is where Eddy found the photo because they
show the same one and have this text:

"Habit and Cultural Information
Category: Shrub
Family: Lamiaceae (Labiatae) (Mints)
Origin: Mediterranean (Europe)
Evergreen: Yes
Flower Color: Blue Violet
Bloomtime: Winter/Spring
Height: 1-2 feet
Width: 6-8 feet
Exposu Full Sun
Seaside: Yes
Drought Tolerant: Yes
Deer Tolerant: Yes
Irrigation Req.: Low Water Needs
Winter Hardiness: 15-20° F

Rosmarinus officinalis Irene PP9,124 ['Renzels'] (Trailing Blue Rosemary) -
A prostrate evergreen shrub to 2 feet tall by 6-8 feet wide with bright
green foliage and blue violet flowers in late winter through early spring
with sporadic bloom year-round. This prostrate rosemary has been touted as a
breakthrough in rosemary's because of its brilliant blue-violet floral color
and greener foliage. Cascades beautifully over walls with a hummocky growth
habit. As with other Rosemary it is resistant to deer and rabbit predation,
tolerant to salt spray, alkaline soils and drought. This plant was
discovered by Phil Johnson and is a patented variety under the cultivar name
'Renzels'. The description above is based on our research and observations
of this plant growing in our nursery and garden. We would appreciate hearing
from anyone who has additional information or disagrees with what we have
written."

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk