Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Mosquitoes in water butts!

On 7/3/08 11:06, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 23:38:45 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 6/3/08 21:51, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
larunlady writes:

| Has anybody any ideas for killing mosquitoes (or may be they are just
| midges!)
| in my water butts? I use a natural soap based liquid to clean the
| water, ie for algae and such like but I suspect I have insects of some
| sort in there. I have recently been bringing watering cans in to come
| to room temperature before I use it on my indoor plants and I have been
| bitten to death by something. I use the water for topping up bird baths
| so it can't be anything too toxic, but in desperation I could just use
| something in the water for indoors that will kill them but not harm the
| plants.

At this time of year, it won't be anything in your water butts!

The things that have bitten you will be fleas, lice, bedbugs etc.,
probably from cats or dogs.

Now down by yurr, Nick. The mozzies or midges, or whatever those dancing
clouds are, are out in major force.

They were mentioned in our local newspaper along with a photo of a black cloud
of what were claimed to be mozzies taken last year over the IJsselmeer. In
fact
the cloud was May flies. The occur every year on what we call Black Fly Day.

I wish it was just one day here!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk