Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Plants for fence?

On 7/3/08 11:24, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
I would suggest trying a clematis armandii, which is evergreen, grows
fast and can be trained along the fence. You could try growing a
clematis montana, which also grows fast but is not fully evergreen but
the two could be allowed to grow together.
For ground cover I would try periwinkle (vinca). There are small
leaved ones which spread but stay low and have either blue/mauve or
white flowers, and there's a variegated one which spreads but can be
cut back each. It has nice blue/purple flowers.

Thanks, Pam. Yes, periwinkle seems to be listed as being suitable for
shade OR full sun. Somewhere I read something that suggested that vinca
minor would be better than vinca major. Can't remember why.

Eddy.

Invasiveness, perhaps? There's a *very* pretty Vinca minor called V. Azurea
Flore Pleno with a pretty double flower. I like V. oxyloba too. But for
ground cover, I would very, very strongly suggest Geranium Jolly Bee. This
is a true geranium, not a pelargonium. It has intensely blue flowers and
goes on and on for a very long time. We have some on a bank just outside
the gate and it has spread and covered a large area quite quickly. On the
whole it's better than G. Johnson's Blue, IMO. But Vinca while useful, will
take over and cover everything else, so I wouldn't recommend the two
together. What would look good with the G. Jolly Bee, coming over the edge
of the fenced area, would be Rosa The Fairy. I've seen it described as clump
forming but ours seems to grow in arching sprays which would look very
pretty growing down a wall or bank. There must be other roses that would
look good doing that and so would the perennial sweet pea, Lathyrus
latifolius (unscented though)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk