Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Plants for fence?

Pam Moore wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:46:55 GMT, Eddy
wrote:

Can anyone suggest two attractive evergreen plants for along a fence?
See the following pictu
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...eedofcover.jpg

The position is south-facing and gets full sun - and, in winter, full
frost!

Along the road (as shown in blue) I'ld like to plant some
natural-looking evergreen groundcover.

To tumble from all along the top of the fence another natural-looking
evergreen is needed, preferably NOT aubrietia - which we already have
enough of elsewhere.

I would suggest trying a clematis armandii, which is evergreen, grows
fast and can be trained along the fence.

The OP said that the fence gets full frost in winter. I wouldn't chance C.
armandii in that position. And if it did survive, it would cover the whole
fence, the ground, the next field, and half the county in a few years. But
I'm not cutting mine down - it looks fabulous at the moment.

You could try growing a
clematis montana, which also grows fast but is not fully evergreen but
the two could be allowed to grow together.

See above warning - goes double for C. montana.

It would be useful to know the soil type and approximately where in the
country these plants are required.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)