Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Backyard Fence

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:44:52 -0800, Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:41:38 -0800, Billy wrote:

Sweet article tho. Basically, it says we got a problem, and we know how
to make money off of the problem, but we don't know what the problem is
or how to fix it (cholesterol --- cardiovascular disease?, probably not)

The problem is perhaps best identified, and exposed, by the answer to
the question "Cui bono?" And this is the question we should be asking
ourselves about most issues that confront us.... ideas, techniques,
illnesses, products, services...ad infinitum.

Cui bono. Who benefits. Adam Smith wrote "All for ourselves, and
nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have
been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind."

Sounds like it is leading us back to Michael Pollan and his discussion
on macro nutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins) and macro vitamins (A, B,
C, D, etc.) and his musings over the elevated levels of flavonoids (and
anthocyanins?) in organically grown food, and our present
omega-6/omega-3 ratio of ten (10), where historically it was one (1).
The omega-6/omega-3 ratio apparently can be fixed by eating more leaves
and much less grain or eating more things that eat more leaves and much
less grain. I'm still dragging my heels on grass feed beef because I'd
have to buy a quarter and find cold storage for it. Mean time, I'm
probably eating high omega-6 smoked turkey to excess.

Pollan, among others, has nailed it, but as you have observed, and
experienced, the vile masters have done their best in luring us into a
situation that very nearly precludes any choice in the matter. Or, for
most people, any desire to make choices contrary to the popular wisdom.

More of a Huxleyian situation than Orwellian, I would say.

You asked about my breakfast. Grandson stayed over last nite and for
breakfast he wanted bacon, eggs, and toast. Lovey and I had grits
also....with butter. Lots of grits with lots of butter. Cui bono? We
all did. We had a great time extolling the virtues of bacon, and
mini-bacon toast sammichs and toast strips dipped in runny yolks,
washed down with milk (organic, mind you) and mugs of coffee for the
Elders. Carrying on about the smell of bacon frying and coffee making.

Is this healthy? The health police would tell you it isn't. But what
of the benefits of the fun we had at table, the gastronomical delights,
and the laughter. When it is all said and done, I wouldn't trade
longer life for the joy of life we had this morning. And I'll do it
again.

The easy times are coming to an end, my friend, and I am damned sure
gonna enjoy every little minute like this morning.

Cui bono, Billy, cui bono.
Charlie

Oh sacred, inspired madness. Good on you Charlie, you unleashed the
muses. I admire your Sisyphusian bravery but the clock keeps on running.
The problem is, the older you get, the fewer days you have to barter.
Intimate moments at four traded off against adolescent support at
sixteen? We'll never know. I hope your wager was a good one. As I always
say, you're not a real man until your first heat attack. But then, I
like to play to my strength.

Good on you and your grandson.

Indeed the clock keeps running, and I too awaken at three, in the dark
hours, and am gripped by terror, sheer terror, of dying, and I try and
comfort myself with platitudes and fine thoughts and bargaining and all
the five stages rush past in quick succession.

Sisyphean.....indeed it is, though not in the sense of pointlessness,
but in the sense of repitition......this is a daily struggle at our
age, old friend. What was once taken for granted is now grasped at on
a nearly daily basis.

But what do you do? Do you try and bargain for time by following the
advice of those whose primary interest is profit or do you try and take
control of your destiny based upon other things that are important.
How do we get all zen on this? Maybe it is my problem with "them" and
my willingness to remove my nose inspite of my face. Pride cometh and
all that you know.

I really do understand your point, and oftimes feel as if I am simply
whistling past the graveyard, and I hope that putting things into words
will solidify my desires/beliefs and attain solidarity with others who
feel the same.

If I didn't fear the end, why would I be concerned about the quality of
food we ingest, or the virulent way that we are destroying the
biosphere upon which we depend? For my descendents? For sure. For
myself as well. I fear the end as much as anyone, and hope I have the
strength to face it with courage and dignity.

I'm just not sure any longer that what I have "learned" in the last few
decades is valid, and feel as if I am mostly alone in the wilderness.

I mean, is trading abstinence of bacon and coffee and barleywine worth
a few years and missing many years of ecstasy worth it, when in the end
we all achieve the same goal? I don't know.

Hell, maybe it's just time to go to bed and hope I'll arise again in
the morn and start this all over again.

Maybe I'll sleep the night without having to pee more than once and
escape the night fears.

Not likely.

May you sleep well and dream of tomatoes as large as the moon.

Yer pal
Charlie

Your request was granted. I started awake at 1 AM, sitting in front of
the computer. I had been sleeping well, comforted in the shadows of that
great, orbiting Solanum lycopersicum. Only the heater cats on the
federbett could complain as I slid between the sheets to continue my
nocturnal wanderings, unburdened of the details of how and why.

Get out and carp that diem my friend. I think you've already done what
was intended of you. You've passed on the gift of life, as well as your
dream of the Eden that is possible. From here on out, it is an
adventure. There really aren't any bad endings, if ending isn't bad
enough. Gotta get outta the way so that life can try again to survive.

Monsanto, Cargill, Archer Daniel Midlands, and the other unspeakables
may try to foist their faux food on the harried masses but at least, in
places like this, a candle has been lit (for the promise of clean air,
food, and water, and community) to stave off the darkness of which Adam
Smith wrote.

In regards to the chin wag about cholesterol, I've found a source of
truly free range chicken eggs. Now I can put Pollan and his grass feed
chickens to the test.

Gonna be a chilly day to lean on the fence. It's the third day of a
serious overcast.

Oh, yeah, been meanin' to compliment you on your new pots;-)

Hasta luego
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi